How to Make A Pinata?
Here are simple step by step instructions
on how to make a pinata.
Pinata make for highly festive fun,
and a great addition to kid's birthday parties.
This inexpensive game can bring so much fun to a kids party. Sure to leave some good memories for kids playing it.
If you have some time on hand before your little ones party have a go at making one yourself with your little helper.
Here are step by step instructions on how to make a pinata.
You and your child can make a pinata without much difficulty using materials you may
already have on hand and it can be a great afternoon craft project to keep the two of
Step by Step Instructions - How to make a Pinata?
- 4 cups of flour - for the paper mache
- Approximately 2 cups of water
- Balloons of assorted shapes and sizes
- Regular glue
- Crepe paper
- Pen or crayon
- Prepare the paper mache by tearing newspaper or newsprint into strips or squares of 2" or 3" and mixing
the flour and water in a container until you have a smooth paste.
Click here for step by step Instructions
on making paper mache for a Pinata
- Create your pinata's shape by inflating several balloons
and putting them together with glue.
- Apply your paper mache to the balloons. Dip each strip of newspaper into your flour-and-water paste and
carefully draw off extra paste with your fingers.
Apply the strip to the balloon, and smooth it down.
If the strip seems a bit dry, apply a little paste.
- Make sure each strip overlaps the neighbouring strip along its length and width as you apply the paper to the balloon.
Cover the balloon mold with 2 layers of paper mache, with extra at the joints where the balloons have been attached.
- To make sure the pinata does not crack while drying, cover the mold with a layer of paper mache paste.
The pinata will need around 24 hours to dry.
Do not place the mold outside or on a heater to speed up the
drying process. This will cause the air in the balloons to expand, and may even crack the mold.
- Once the pinata is dry, you may decide to add one or two more layers of paper and paste.
keep in mind that thicker pinatas are harder to break, so if this pinata is for smaller children, you may
not want to add any more layers.
- Before decorating your pinata, cut an opening so you can insert the candy, toys, and prizes.
Mark a square or round shape of say 3" - 4" at the top of the mold, and cut the it open with the help
of a knife. After cutting it open, remove the burst balloon.
- Mark 2 spots at the top opening
of the mold on the opposite sides with the help of a sharp pointed object.
Pass a strong thread through
the two openings and tie the loose ends of the cord together.
- Using a pen, draw a design on your mold.
- To Decorate the pinata -
Easiest way would be if you can find roll of crepe paper.
If you cant foind a roll, cut strips from the sheet of crepe paper of 1-1/2" to 2" width.
Cut it across the length of the paper and use these to decorate the pinata.
- One simple way to decorate is the one shown in the picture. Spread glue over a small section
of the mold and stick the crepe paper strips as shown in the picture.
You can lso check the pinata patterns for a My little Pony pinata
and pinata designs of Pig pinata
to find more
information on how to make a pinata of different animal shapes.
Return From How to Make A Pinata To Pinata Party
Return From How To Make A Pinata To Preschool Games - Home